Friday, May 20, 2011

Day 4 -- Symbols of A Violence Oriented Society

     Today my only goal was to take a hand-held pix at three different exposures so I could process it with an HDR program.  I grabbed the camera as we embarked on the exciting trek to replace some slimy, icky, no longer capable of being washed  shower curtain liners with no idea what might catch my eye and my thoughts.  It was Target, yes Target where the new squeaky clean liners were purchased.  
     Why Target, the store that challenged Walmart by having better labor policies and then slipped into the Walmart business model?  Well, that has nothing to do with why.  It is the name, yes the name.  I have no idea why it was named Target----but......
     Violence---there it is in the name Target with that bullseye next to it.  Guns, shooting, street violence and wars are all there!  It is our society.  It is not just the unjustified foreign wars we fight today, but all social ills are battled by wars---the War on Drugs, the War on Poverty and on and on.  It is always a war!   
Perhaps it is in part because our society was created in violence; violence against the colonial power, and total war against the people already living here, I don't know.  It sometimes just feels so uncivilized.  
     Target---yes, there it all was right there.  And while taking this picture, the security guard appeared to question why I was taking a picture.  Many appropriate responses came to mind, but old age wisdom told me to be very polite to the man in the uniform with a badge lest he be one who takes the authority of the badge over the top.  Maybe it is not wisdom but the desire to just not be hassled.     Grunge HDR seemed to fit.  


Seeing the world around me in some new ways.  

No comments:

Post a Comment