Sunday, May 29, 2011

Day 13 ---- The Flaming Chalice

     A youthful search for a religion and a church that seemed to fit who I was, left me with a determined dislike of all organized religion.  Accompanying friends, I experimented with many religions.  One day the nun teaching a catechism class told me I was not ready to attend those classes as I asked too many questions and I needed to learn to just have faith.  Blind faith, how easy that would be, but it does not work for me.   
It was not until middle age that I found this...


     I have heard it said that Unitarian-Universalism is not really a religion as there is no dogma.  Perhaps the belief that truth and spirituality is individual, and that all human beings have inherent worth can be considered dogma.  It is just not that simple. It is a complicated and difficult religion.  It involves a continual personal search for meaning and truth.  
     It was a good day visiting the UU church that is home to this beautiful mosaic. Thank you John for introducing me to this religion.    

2 comments:

  1. Who made that beautiful chalice mosaic? We're making stepping stones with the children at my church and I'm so glad to show this to them -- I may try to come up with something similar, tho I doubt mine will be this terrific. --

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: I'm with Unitarian Universalist Church in Cherry Hill. BTW, when I was a child I always wanted to visit Baja :)

    ReplyDelete